Friday, March 28, 2014

Remembering Uncle Larry

I've been meaning to write this for quite a while but obviously never did.  I figured today being the anniversary of his passing to the afterlife would give me reason to put my thoughts to paper.  I want to share a few stories of the memories I have of my uncle.

Because my favoritest Godmother was married to Larry, I was able to get a summer job with Larry when I graduated from high school in 1991 working for his business Brink Construction.
I learned so much from him about work ethic and putting in an honest days work.  I feel that today I am where I am in my career becuase of a little conversation we had one evening when I left early before our work was done.  One of his other hands was leaving and I mentioned I wanted to go as well.  Well Larry told me I could leave if I asked the guy for a ride.  Now, that was not permission to leave and I found out that evening when he got home.  As far as I know that the only time Larry was upset with me during the summer.  After he had cooled down, he informed me that the hand and I  were making the same wage and the gentleman was 15-20 years older than me.  This left a lasting impression on me as I have always been one of the last out of the office and sought to help my superiors in any way possible.  Forever grateful to Larry for this lesson in life.

Of course, that summer was not always about work, he introduced me to golf.  I purchased my first set of clubs in Watertown that summer.  We bought them used from a gentlemen selling on them on the trading post on KSDR 1480.  I have never mastered the game, but use it to spend time with my dad, brother, and cousins.  Larry, Cindy, and Ashlie came to visit in October.  Larry, my dad, Ashlie and I played a round while they were down.  I, of course, won! Highest score wins right?  Oh well, someone has to bring up the rear.  We all won that day though for the time we were able to spend together.

 
 
We took a road trip to Blue Cloud Abbey for TEC Retreat Reunion.  On the drive Larry introduced me to license plate cribbage.  I will never look at another license plate the same.  It does not work well out of South Dakota, but whenever I see a SD license plate I am counting the cribbage points and thinking of Larry.
 
Pair for 2
Fifteen for 2
Fifteen for 2
Double Run of 3 for 6
  
Let Perpetual Light Shine upon him, may he rest in peace
 
 

No comments: