Monday, August 20, 2007

Vernon Burnin'

My first ever bike rally/race. One last long ride before the Hotter N Hell Hundred. It was a rainy, wet day. The leader took off immediately, about five miles later two others bridged to the front. There were two others in front me and a string of riders behind me as we headed into a headwind. I was able to bring the two others in front of me back as well the group behind me.

We settled in to work together pulling about 18-19 mph into the wind. Pfffttttttttt, crap flat just a little more than 13 miles in. In my haste to change the tire I loosen the nut too much and off it came, then the spring danced away. Must find all my parts!!! Can't fit my tire tool into the wheel, tire still had too much air. Let it out dummy!!! So I let the air out, removed the tire from the wheel, pulled the tube out, couldn't get the new tube in - losing time, this sucks!! Sag wagon comes along to see if I want to give up, um we just started. Soon all the riders start passing me - this royally sucks. Tire fixed - now how do all these parts go back together. Put the tire back on the bike - why won't it fit in the frame? A gentleman on a recumbent comes by asks if I need assistance - asked if he knows how to fix a wheel once all the parts come off. Can't get the tire back off the bike. Sag wagon guy - sure you're not ready to call it a day. Finally get the tire unstuck from the frame. This spring goes on the other side of the frame. Back up and rolling. Try to pull along the guys that stopped to help, but I go too fast for them and drop them.

I start reeling in the riders - I know there is no hope to catch the racers, so I am on a 50 mile time trial. WTF - why isn't my computer working? Oh well it is what it is. So I continue on the way reeling in people dropping them like they are standing still - life is good. Stop for a quick drink at the mile 38 rest stop as that is where I plan to refill for the Hotter N Hell Hundred. Was told not not too many in front of me. About 12 miles down the road another damn flat - this time I have no spare tube, just a patch kit. I don't know how to use a spare kit. So I find the hole, place the glue on the hole, stick the patch on the hole, pull the patch right back off. Crap, try again, have luck. I noticed someone flatted about a 1/4 mile behind me so I walk to them to see if perhaps they knew how to use a patch kit. Lo behold got the tire plugged - walked back to bike, put the tube back on the tire, start airing it up and hear water shooting out of the tire, think I had punctured the tire since I had once again forgotten to clear the tire. Pull glass out of tire. Deflate tube, take tube off wheel. Pump up tire - didn't see new puncture, put tire back on wheel. Pump up tire to about 90 PSI since I didn't have any more C02, and hope that gets me back to the car - during the course of time people that I had passed an hour ago were now riding by!!! Oh well such is life!!! I got back to the start area about 30 minutes later. It felt like a good ride but I truly don't know!! Finished around 4 hours - ride put on by a small town's Jaycees. I think I am ready for the HHH. Tick tock we shall see.

Heading to the LBS to buy some new tires as I flatted twice last week as well. Since April I have put around 1,300 miles on them.

3 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Hey Mike, thanks for the HH100 forecast. The mornings looks to be a a couple degrees cooler than here in FL but the wind will be much stronger, more like it is out in Kona.

Sounds like you got some good practice fixing flats at your last bike event. Hopefully that means you won't get any at HH100. Good luck!!!

T said...

thanks for the wishes, I will see you at HHH.

Stefan

T said...

thanks for the wishes, I will see you at HHH.

Stefan